Different types of Engineered Stone:

For the longest time, people have made use of natural stone for many uses. Most common being the simple kitchen countertops and flooring. Granite and Marble countertops have been the choice of stone in many homes across the world. However, choosing natural stone over time will deplete in supply as there are only so many mines in the world to get from. For this reason, we as humans have been able to create an almost identical type of stone product using quartz as the base. This we refer to as Engineered Stone. The differences are subtle and the pricing is often cheaper than natural stone. However, the Engineered stone is sustainable, which is a big issue in today’s times.

When it comes to selecting the correct Engineered Stone Countertops or tiling options, it’s not as simple as just opting for the sustainable product, but as we are able to engineer these stone products, we have been able to customise them to suit any taste. Below are some of the options of engineered stone products to help you select the right stone for you.


Caesarstone is the ideal choice for an engineered stone countertop. Its composition is 95% quartz with the remaining 5% being the colour additives and a hardened polymer resin. This allows for the quartz countertops to become very strong, as well as scratch, stain and heat resistant.


Silestone is the 2nd choice when it comes to countertops. Very similar to the Ceasarstone, Silestone is only 94% quartz, mixed with the same resins. This stone is a little bit easier on the pocket.

Quantum Quartz:

This beautiful hard stone is composed of only 93% natural quartz and 7% bonding agents and pigments. This stone is very low maintenance and extremely hygienic in the sense of how it can be cleaned and maintained. Quantum Quartz is the ideal stone for tiling, flooring and occasional countertops.


Essastone like its counterparts is a hardened stone made up of 95% quartz and 5% select resins. This stone is non-porous and homogenous, meaning it is low maintenance and strong stone, also being heat, scratch and chemical resistant.


Smartstone is the new kid on the block. Coming to market in 2002, a mere 18 years ago, Smartstone is only available n a select 24 colours and is composed of 93% quartz. This stone has become one of the tops choices in stone countertops. This engineered stone is highly resistant to heat, staining and scratches, making it the ideal stone for kitchen and bathroom countertops.
Earth-Stone Marble and Granite are suppliers of all the above mentioned engineered stone options and will cut and fit all-natural and engineered stone products. Choose Earth-Stone for your stone options, visit us online at www.earth-stone.co.za to arrange for a consultant to come out to you.

Whether you need it it for your kitchen or bathroom, we have the perfect slab of natural stone to suit your tastes. Natural Stone is both timelessly elegant and extremely durable. Tile stones typically come in Travertine, Limestone, Soapstone, Slate, Marble, and Granite. Soft stones like Slate and Travertine are great for indoor uses like walls, floors and back splashes.

Mother Nature provides uniqueness in every slab of stone. Visit our showroom in Strand to make your selection and we will transform it into a beautiful feature for your home or office or contact us today

By using this website or any other service or products of Totally custom Designs you agree to our privacy policy, please read our privacy policy first before using any function or service on this website. Read Our Privacy Policy